Sunday, November 14, 2010

La Misma Luna

Last night Debbie and I attended the BYU International Cinema. The feature presentation was La Misma Luna, or in English Under the Same Moon. It was fabulous! At the risk of being too personal - it was the first movie that I watched with Debbie that I cried at. Yeah, you can call me a baby - but it really just struck my heart.
It is a story about a family from Mexico, the Mom has made it across the border and is working two jobs in L.A. to support her son in Mexico. She sends him money and is trying to save up money so that she can hire another lawyer (the first one robbed her) to try to get her son across the border. The entire movie was phenomenal. I don't want to give away the plot because I really would suggest anybody to watch this movie.
One of the main reasons that I think this movie in particular touched my heart is because of my new life. When I married my Deboritas in April 2009 I entered into a new family. La Familia Packer. A HUGE part of this family is my mamitas. She is from Peru and is so wonderful! Even though she has been in the United States for over 30 years she is still very VERY Hispanic, and it is so cute - I love it. I could tell stories for hours about her and how much I love her, but as it relates to this post - the main thing that I have experienced from her is the love a Hispanic mother has for her children. Even though I was born to another woman, by marrying her daughter I became her son. It has been one of the best experiences of my life.
So, as I was watching this movie I was able to understand it at a different level. I know how much Hispanic moms live, breathe and die for their children. I understand how much their heart is wrapped up in only the lives of their children. I understand and know this because I have a Hispanic mother, and I love her.
Another huge reason why this movie was so touching was because of the recent development of immigration laws and reforms around the country and especially those in Arizona and Utah. The proposition in Arizona has huge effects on me and my family because that is where we are hoping and planning to spend the rest of our life - and my family is Hispanic. My wife has already been the victim of racial profiling in many venues - the airport, the cruise, the Temple, at Church and basically anywhere she goes here in Utah; and with this law she and her family will be subjected to even more intense racial profiling. So, despite the fact that I am as pasty white as they come, this immigration law affects me very intimately and very personally.
I've been interested to see what the Church says/thinks about this immigration issue, and up until this week they have been pretty silent. The only thing that I knew is that both here in the States and in Korea when investigators wanted to be baptized they could, even if they weren't legally here. But, the Church finally came out and in a round-about way gave us some good instruction for what we should do. On November 11, 2010 the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints officially supported the Utah Compact. I include the full text of the Utah Compact so that you can see exactly what it is.

A declaration of five principles to guide Utah's immigration discussion

FEDERAL SOLUTIONS: Immigration is a federal policy issue between the U.S. government and other countries — not Utah and other countries. We urge Utah's congressional delegation, and others, to lead efforts to strengthen federal laws and protect our national borders. We urge state leaders to adopt reasonable policies addressing immigrants in Utah.

LAW ENFORCEMENT: We respect the rule of law and support law enforcement's professional judgment and discretion. Local law enforcement resources should focus on criminal activities, not civil violations of federal code.

FAMILIES: Strong families are the foundation of successful communities. We oppose policies that unnecessarily separate families. We champion policies that support families and improve the health, education and well-being of all Utah children.

ECONOMY: Utah is best served by a free-market philosophy that maximizes individual freedom and opportunity. We acknowledge the economic role immigrants play as workers and taxpayers. Utah's immigration policies must reaffirm our global reputation as a welcoming and business-friendly state.

A FREE SOCIETY: Immigrants are integrated into communities across Utah. We must adopt a humane approach to this reality, reflecting our unique culture, history and spirit of inclusion. The way we treat immigrants will say more about us as a free society and less about our immigrant neighbors. Utah should always be a place that welcomes people of goodwill.

The LDS Church additionally stated:

As a worldwide church dealing with many complex issues across the globe, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints promotes broad, foundational principles that have worldwide application. The Church regards the declaration of the Utah Compact as a responsible approach to the urgent challenge of immigration reform. It is consistent with important principles for which we stand:

  • We follow Jesus Christ by loving our neighbors. The Savior taught that the meaning of “neighbor” includes all of God’s children, in all places, at all times.
  • We recognize an ever-present need to strengthen families. Families are meant to be together. Forced separation of working parents from their children weakens families and damages society.
  • We acknowledge that every nation has the right to enforce its laws and secure its borders. All persons subject to a nation’s laws are accountable for their acts in relation to them.

Public officials should create and administer laws that reflect the best of our aspirations as a just and caring society. Such laws will properly balance love for neighbors, family cohesion, and the observance of just and enforceable laws.

Essentially this Utah Compact as well as the Church's standpoint reaffirm what Christ taught: that our efforts in life should be centered on becoming more Christlike in our endeavor to achieve Celestial Glory, build strong families in order for them to achieve salvation, and to help and love all others along the way.

Any time a person - despite well-meaning intentions, or no intentions at all - degrades, looks down on, or thinks themselves better than another human being we are not fulfilling our purpose here in life. How does that help anyone come closer to Christ? I strongly promote genuine Christian love and behavior from and for all people, regardless of race/ethnicity, culture, sex, religion or beliefs. We have a very clear standard for us, and that is Christ Himself. Was His Atonement only applicable to certain people? Did He forbid anyone from coming to Him? Then why should we?

Unfortunately, sometimes people don't realize that certain opinions, beliefs and actions are not in harmony with Christian values, and they may not even realize that they are belittling, demeaning and looking down on other people. I know that I personally have struggled with this, and more than likely will continue to. I am so grateful, though, for a loving Heavenly Father who loves me enough to put me through experiences where He taught me this principle, and I promise Him that I will endeavor to be as Christlike as I can, to love others without reserve, and to help all others come unto Christ.

On the issue of immigration, I agree with the Church and with the Utah Compact that governments have the right and obligations to create laws and govern their borders. "We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers and magistrates in obeying, honoring and sustaining the law." However, I specifically agree with both the Church and the Utah Compact that these laws MUST be clearly thought out and have a spirit of love for everyone. One very unfortunate side-effect of these immigration laws is that it quickly leads to racial-profiling which leads to unkind and un-Christlike thoughts regarding people of other ethnicities. Furthermore, I would entice us all to remember our place in our loving Heavenly Father's eyes. We are all His children, created by Him and beloved by Him. Our gender, the color of our skin, where we were born, etc. have absolutely no affect on His love for us. I am looking forward to spending eternity in the presence of many of His beloved children who look different, think different, and were born in different places of this earth. May I also remind us that for many of us who are affiliated with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that all of us are immigrants? Most of our families have immigrated since the 1800s from all around the world - especially Europe and Canada. Yet, even those whose ancestry goes further in history are immigrants as well - even those from Central and South America we know, through the Book of Mormon, were actually brought here by revelation around 500 b.c. and are primarily the descendants of Father Lehi, one of the most inspired Prophets of history. I find this fact very useful to remember when thinking of how to treat and view others of different nationalities.

My purpose in posting this blog is not to be mean-spirited, or hurtful in any way. In all honesty I just decided it was time to blog again, and this issue is the one that is at the forefront of my mind. If you have taken offense, I am sorry - that wasn't my intent. The majority of my intent was mainly to express my feelings, and hopefully give some "food for thought". Especially considering the fact that my blog has had 68 views in the last year and a half (and most of them by myself to see if it was still running) you can be certain that my motives are not to cause turmoil and stress. May I close with the prayer of St. Francis of Agassi who puts my life's purpose very beautifully:
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;

where there is injury,pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek

to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive;

it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment